Easy and delicious starter or a main dish!
Gobi Manchurian is a Hakka Chinese dish that is popular among vegetarian Chinese lovers in India. It is made by coating Cauliflower florets in a maida dip and deep-frying until crispy. The dip/batter is very similar to the batter used for making fried chicken. It makes the Gobi crunchy on the outside and perfectly cooked with soft insides, perfect for tossing in a spicy and sweet Manchurian gravy. The gravy coats the Gobi perfectly without making it soggy for a long time and believes me it tastes even better the next day!
Perfect make-ahead Appetizer for stress-free entertaining
Making this delicious snack is a 2 step process. Step one is to fry the cauliflower, this can be done a few hours in advance and you can also prepare for the second step which is, to chop all veggies and measure out all sauces & spices. When you are ready to serve, quickly double fry the Florets, while you make the sauce. This ensures that you serve the dish hot to your guests or family. Bringing this dish together with advanced planning makes it that much easier!
How does it taste?
It is crunchy on the outside and perfectly cooked inside, coated with the spicy and sweet sauce with a delicious & flavourful bite of chopped veggies in the sauce. It smells like every Hakka Chinese lover’s dream Yum!
Prepare Gobi Pakoras
- 500 g Cauliflower/Gobi cut in bite-size Florets
- 6 cup Salted Boiling Water or enough to cover the florets
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour/Maida
- ½ cup Cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- Salt to Taste
- Refined/Canola Oil for deep frying
Prepare Manchurian Sauce
- 2 tbsp Refined/Canola Oil
- 4 Green Chilies
- 1 tbsp Ginger Chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp Garlic Chopped
- ¾ cup Red Onion Chopped
- ½ cup Green Pepper Chopped
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup Water or add as desired consistency
- 1 Sprig Green onion for garnish
Prepare the Gobi Pakoras
- Wash and Dice the Cauliflower into bite-size Florets and Soak in salted hot water for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside in a strainer to drain it completely for 5 minutes and spread on a paper towel or dry tea towel to get all the extra moisture out.
- Heat the oil into a deep pan or Kadhai. Meanwhile, Mix Flour, Cornflour, Red Chili Powder, Black pepper, and salt with enough water to make a flowing Batter
- Dip and coat the florets evenly and fry until golden brown on medium-high heat. Double fry the gobi before adding to the sauce for extra crispiness! You can also fry gobi in advance and make the sauce before serving as it takes minutes to bring this dish together.
Make the Manchurian Sauce
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp of refined oil on medium-high heat and fry chopped Green chilies, Ginger & Garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Add chopped Red Onion, Green Pepper, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add Sauces one by one or mix all in one bowl and dump it in the fried masala. Sauces are Soy Sauce + Chili Garlic Sauce + Vinegar + Ketchup. Followed by Red Chili Powder, Black Pepper, Sugar, Salt. Cook for a minute before adding in the water and cook until it is reduced to the desired consistency.
- To finish off, Add the fried Gobi to the Sauce and take off the heat. Put in a serving dish and garnish with fresh green onion. Perfect Snack is ready!